Thursday, January 23, 2014

Vocabulary: Unseparable Phrasal Verbs


A phrasal verb is a verb followed by a preposition or an adverb; the combination creates a meaning different from the original verb alone. i.e. Look + After = take care of
There are two types of Phrasal verbs: Separable and Unseparable

Unseparable Phrasal Verbs

With the following phrasal verbs, the lexical part of the verb (the part of the phrasal verb that carries the "verb-meaning") cannot be separated from the prepositions (or other parts) that accompany it: "Who will look after my estate when I'm gone?"


call on ask to recite in class The teacher called on students in the back row.
call on (2) visit The old minister continued to call on his sick parishioners.
get over recover from sickness or disappointment I got over the flu, but I don't know if I'll ever get over my broken heart.
go over review The students went over the material before the exam. They should have gone over it twice.
go through use up; consume They country went through most of its coal reserves in one year. Did he go through all his money already?
look after take care of My mother promised to look after my dog while I was gone.
look into investigate The police will look into the possibilities of embezzlement.
run across find by chance I ran across my old roommate at the college reunion.
run into meet Carlos ran into his English professor in the hallway.
take after resemble My second son seems to take after his mother.
wait on serve It seemed strange to see my old boss wait on tables.
Modified from http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/phrasals.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment